Sunday, January 24, 2010

"Sherlock Holmes" - I'm torn.

We saw "Sherlock Holmes" yesterday. OK. I will confess. I would like to be licking Robert Downey Jr. right now.



I would like to lick him regularly and often. I'm also a fan of Mark Strong, the creepier of the two gentleman seen here. I loved him as Mr. Knightley in "Emma" too.



And I really enjoyed the movie. I really did. It was a great action comedy, set in Victorian London, about two mercenaries who solve crimes using methods juuuuust outside the limits of the law, who find themselves up against a Freemasonesque group of mystics who want to take over the world. It was full of action, lots of chase scenes, a large French-speaking personage who wanted very badly to damage the good guys, and a beautiful woman in men's clothing. All the elements were there for a good old time at the movies. The only problem I had was with the title. It wasn't Sherlock Holmes. Not even a little bit. If a bunch of video-game designers got together with a bunch of cheesy sitcom writers and decided to make a Sherlock Holmes movie, this is what it would come out like. They basically borrowed the names of all the principal characters and did whatever they liked with them. I can't get behind that. Oh, and guys? Sherlock Holmes was NOT in love with Irene Adler. He just hated her less than all other women, because she was as smart as he was. That's all.

No comments: